The SS-Helferinnenkorps was comprised of female volunteers who served as auxiliary personnel. In 1942,
a special training center called the Reichschule was established to teach women specialist communications
and other administrative skills as well as provide training in ideology, motherhood, and fitness. In 1943, the
first SS-Helferinnen were dispatched to positions across Europe. The goal was to not only replace men so
that they could serve in combat, but to replace civilian women in the service of the Reichsführer.
Helferinnen were responsible for administrative duties, supply support, and communications and were sent
to nearly every administrative office of the Reichsführer-SS. They served primarily in communication
positions, and performed as radio, telephone or telex operators.
The uniform for SS Helferin consisted of a single breasted Feldgrau jacket, a knee length skirt and black
schiffchen. These items can be purchased at http://militaria-net.co.uk
Instructional staff at the Reichsschule wore a cuff title that read “Reichschule-SS” and all other SS Helferin
wore the cuff title “SS-Helferin”. The oval SS runes patch with silver edging was worn by all personnel, as
was the SS version of the National Emblem which was worn on the left sleeve of the jacket, 16cm from the
shoulder. The blitz patch was worn by signals personnel, but please note that this patch is not accurate for
all events, as Himmler gave the order that the signals patch was not to be worn after September 1943.
Hair is to be worn up, and off the shoulders. U-rolls were a popular choice with auxiliary uniforms.
Shoes and hosiery:
Shoes must be low cut, lace up and black leather. Reproductions that closely match 1940s styles are
acceptable. Plain black oxfords with a low heel were common. Shoes were either worn with plain white
cotton socks or neutral colored stockings.