9. SS-Panzer-Division Hohenstaufen was formed along with its sister formation 10. SS-Panzer-Division Frundsberg, in France in February
1943. The division was mainly formed from Reichsarbeitdienst (RAD) conscripts. Originally, Hohenstaufen was designated as a
Panzergrenadier division, but in October 1943 it was promoted to full Panzer Division status. At its formation, Hohenstaufen was commanded
by SS-Obergruppenführer Willi Bittrich. The title Hohenstaufen came from the Hohenstaufen dynasty, a Germanic noble family who produced a
number of kings and emperors in the 12th and 13th centuries AD. It is believed that the division was named specifically after Friedrich II, who
lived from 1194-1250.

After the encirclement of Generaloberst Hans-Valentin Hube's 1.Panzerarmee near Kamenets Podolsky in Ukraine, Generalfeldmarschall Erich
von Manstein requested that the Hohenstaufen and Frundsberg divisions be sent to attempt to link up with the trapped force.

Arriving in the east in late March 1944, the divisions were formed into the II. SS-Panzerkorps and were sent into the attack near the town of
Tarnopol. After heavy fighting in the horrible conditions caused by the rasputitsa ("mud season"), the division effected a linkup with Hube's
forces near the town of Buczacz. During these battles, Hohenstaufen had suffered heavy casualties, and in late April was pulled out of the line
to refit. The II SS Panzerkorps was to act as reserve for Heeresgruppe Nordukraine, performing "fire brigade" duties for the Army Group. After
the Allied invasion of France on 6 June 1944, the II. SS-Panzerkorps, including Hohenstaufen, was sent west on 12 June to defend Caen in
Normandy.

NORMANDY

Hohenstaufen suffered losses from Allied fighter bombers during its move to Normandy, delaying its arrival until 26 June 1944. The original
plan for Hohenstaufen to attack towards the Allied beachhead was made impossible by a British offensive to take Caen. The II. SS-Panzerkorps
was instead put into the line to support the weakened forces defending Caen. Hohenstaufen was involved in ferocious fighting until early July,
suffering 1,200 casualties. On 10 July, the division was pulled back into reserve, to be replaced by the 277 Infanterie-Division.

After the launching of another British offensive aimed at taking Caen, Hohenstaufen was again put back into the line, this time defending Hill
112, taking over the positions of the battered Frundsberg. After more heavy fighting, Hohenstaufen was again pulled out of the line on 15 July.
The division's depleted Panzergrenadier regiments were merged to form Panzergrenadier Regiment Hohenstaufen. The division saw heavy
action defending against British armour during Operation GOODWOOD, suffering heavy losses, but succeeded in holding the line.

After the launch of the Canadian Operation TOTALISE, Hohenstaufen performed a fighting withdrawal, avoiding encirclement in the Falaise
pocket, and fighting to keep the narrow escape route from this pocket open. By 21 August, the battle of Normandy was over, and the German
forces were in full retreat. SS-Obersturmbannführer Walter Harzer was now placed in command of the division. The division fought several
rearguard actions during the retreat through France and Belgium, and in early September 1944, the exhausted unit was pulled out of the line
for rest and refit near the Dutch city of Arnhem. By this time Hohenstaufen was down to approximately 7,000 men, from 15,900 at the end of
June.

ARNHEM

Upon arriving in the Arnhem area, the division began the task of refitting. The majority of the remaining armoured vehicles were loaded onto
trains in preparation for transport to repair depots in Germany. On Sunday, 17 September 1944, the Allies launched Operation
Market-Garden, and the British 1st Airborne Division was dropped in Oosterbeek, to the west of Arnhem. Realising the threat, Bittrich (now
commander of II. SS-Panzerkorps) ordered Hohenstaufen and Frundsberg to ready themselves for combat. The division's armour was
unloaded from the trains and workshop units worked frantically to replace the tanks tracks, which had been removed for transportation. Of the
division's armoured units, only the division's reconnaissance battalion, SS-Aufklärungs-Abteilung 9, equipped mostly with wheeled and
half-tracked vehicles, was ready for immediate action.

Bittrich ordered Hohenstaufen to occupy Arnhem and secure the vital Arnhem Bridge. Harzer sent the division to the city, encountering stiff
resistance from the Roten Teufel (Red Devils), as the Germans came to call the British paratoopers. The Aufklärungs Abt, commanded by
SS-Hauptsturmführer Paul Gräbner, was sent south over the bridge to scout the area around Nijmegen. Gräbner had that day received the
Knight's Cross for his actions in Normandy.

While the Aufklärungs Abt was scouting to the south of Arnhem, Colonel John Frost's 2nd Battalion of the British 1st Airborne Division had
advanced into Arnhem and prepared defensive positions at the northern end of the bridge. Gräbner returned from his scouting mission to the
south on the morning of 18 September, and ordered his reconnaissance unit to attack north across the bridge.

Gräbner's exact intentions remain a mystery, but he apparently either hoped to recapture the bridge or to race through the British defences to
assist the rest of the division in its defence of Arnhem. Either way, the attack was a complete disaster. The Paras were ready, and after
allowing the first four vehicles to pass, they opened up with PIAT anti-tank launchers, flamethrowers and small arms fire. In two hours of
fighting, the Aufklärungs Abt was virtually annihilated, losing 22 vehicles and around 70 men, including Gräbner.


Throughout the eight-day battle, the division operated mostly in and to the west of Arnhem, fighting with Frost's battalion and reducing the
pocket containing the remainder of the 1st Airborne, which had become encircled near Oosterbeek. The battle of Arnhem was a victory for
Hohenstaufen. With the assistance of other German units, the division had destroyed an elite British airborne unit, which was badly
outnumbered and only lightly armed. Despite the intensity of the fighting, the soldiers of Hohenstaufen and Frundsberg treated the captured
paratroopers courteously, although there are reports of cold-blooded executions by some SS members , and Bittrich remarked that the
tenacity and fighting prowess of the Red Devils was not to be matched, even by the Soviets.

THE ARDENNES

After the battle of Arnhem, Hohenstaufen moved to Paderborn for a much-needed rest and refit. On 12 December 1944, the division moved
south to the Munstereifel. It was to act as a reserve for Sepp Dietrich's 6.Panzerarmee, a part of the Ardennes offensive (Unternehmen: Wacht
am Rhein). 6.Panzerarmee was tasked with attacking in the north, along the line St. Vith - Vielsalm. Initially, only the divisional reconnaissance
and artillery units were involved in fighting, but on the 21st the entire division was committed.

When the attack in the north stalled, the division was sent south to assist in the attacks on Bastogne. Hohenstaufen was involved in the fighting
around Bastogne, taking heavy casualties from the American defenders, and losing much equipment to the incessant attacks of Allied ground
attack aircraft. On 7 January 1945, Hitler called off the operation and ordered all forces to concentrate around Longchamps, and the division
was involved in holding this area, as well as keeping lines of communication open with the 5.Panzerarmee to the south.

OPERATION: FRüHLINGSERWACHEN

Throughout the rest of January 1945, Hohenstaufen was involved in a fighting withdrawal to the German border. At the end of the month, the
division was transferred to the Kaifenheim-Mayen area to be refitted.

At the end of February, the division was sent east to Hungary as a part of the reformed 6.SS-Panzerarmee under Sepp Dietrich. The division,
along with the majority of the SS Panzer units available, was to take part in Operation Frühlingserwachen ("Spring Awakening"), the offensive
near Lake Balaton aimed at securing the Hungarian oilfields and relieving the forces trapped in Budapest by the Soviets.

The attack got under way on 6 March 1945 despite the terrible ground conditions. Due to the condition of the roads, the division had not
reached its jump-off position when the attack began. A combination of mud and stiff Soviet resistance brought the offensive to a halt, and on
16 March a Soviet counter-offensive threatened to cut off the 6.SS-Panzerarmee. Hohenstaufen was involved in the ferocious fighting to
escape the Soviet encirclement, and on 6 April the tattered remnants of the division emerged from the trap.

On 1 May, the greatly depleted division was moved west to the Steyr-Amstetten area. It was ordered to stop the American advance without
using force, and not to endanger the ongoing negotiations between the Germans and the Western Allies. On 8 May 1945, the survivors of
Hohenstaufen surrendered to the Americans.